Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Neverwhere

Sometimes, it seems, I'm not on the same page as everyone else.

I've just read Neverwhere, a fantastical tale of lower -and upper - London and a man who gets sucked into the world because of chivalry. After hiding a girl whose family has just been assassinated, he starts to fade away from upper London (like someone rents his flat out fading away), so he proceeds to tromp around the sewers with the girl and her bodyguard and a sketchy liar guy in the hopes of 1. finding the killers and 2. getting his life back. There are also rats and bird messages and an angel and magical tube stops, oh and the girl can open doors...any doors.

Overall, it was an amazing ride which caused me to inhale the book in two sittings and then look around for more Neil Gaiman.

However, there was one problem. It took me most of the book to see the clock tower on the cover:


You know what I was seeing? The torso of a woman in a Victorian dress. Which was super confusing as it doesn't complement the plot at all. Can you see it?:


Yes? No? Am I crazy? If you still don't see it:



"Mind the gap!"
Neverwhere

2 comments:

  1. That is super crazy!! I can totally see it once you point it out. It's like one of those ink blobs - I wonder what it says about your personality! Ha! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jabba - I know! I think it says I like Victorian fashion and hate the time, which has ensnared me in the incorrect era...??

    ReplyDelete