Monday, January 10, 2011

From the stacks...January jackpot edition

Captive Reader and Intrepid Reader host a weekly Library Loot event where bloggers share their library finds. Since I like to break rules, I participate not once a week.


I was on my way up to Evanston Saturday...but I had to stop at the library. Especially after they didn't mark my technically late book as overdue. Props.

2011 has kind of rocked so far (minus my illness, but that gave me time to read, so maybe that was cool too), and my first library trip kept my luck going.

First, I picked up some young adult lit...


Neil Gaiman is awesome. We know this. I have already finished Neverwhere since Saturday. I highly recommend. Swim the Fly is the next book for the Teachers Who Don't Teach book club. Sometimes it is nice to read about summer when it is cold and nasty out.

Next, I found two of my favorite books on the shelf...


At one point I will own both Book Lusts (plus the YA version), but right now I just have to take notes from the wise recommendations the pages hold. If you ever don't know what to read, please consult either of these volumes.

Last I picked up some books from my to-read list...


J. V. Jones somehow published the fourth offering from her Sword of Shadows series without my knowing it. I'm just starting it now and I'm sooo happy to be back ensconced in a tale that I don't want to end.

The Little Stranger keeps popping up on blogs that I like and trust, so I must read it. Sea of Poppies is one of those books that I choose because I like the cover. We'll see if I like the book as much.

My new-found treasures were heavy, but worth ever ounce.


"A library book, I imagine, is a happy book."
Cornelia Funke

3 comments:

  1. Neverwhere was my first encounter with Gaiman and I loved it. I really enjoy Nancy Pearl's pieces on NPR but have never even flipped through the Book Lust books, even though I'm mightily intrigued by them. That said, my TBR/wish list is already long enough that it doesn't need her help!

    Enjoy your loot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how diversified you are with your reading. It's plain as day in the last three books you have shown together. Wispy poppies, a Pemberley-style mansion and a muscled warrior with a big sword.....
    Reading just half as much as you do - that's my goal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Other Clare - I seriously love Gaiman. Also, I obviously don't listen to NPR enough, because I haven't heard Pearl speak. I hope she sounds super librarian.

    Jabba - hahaha. I am definitely diverse in my reading habits. I like to keep people guessing. Oh, and I've decided that this will be my winter of reading. I've really made an effort to turn off the tv (after how I met your mother reruns) and open a book.

    ReplyDelete