Monday, September 27, 2010

Remember that time I said that thing about that book?

Last time I mentioned The Corrections, I didn't have super nice things to say...

I would like to amend my prior statement...

While 2/3 of the way through the book it might seem blah and aggravating, it picks back up enough to MAKE ME CRY.

It takes a lot for a book to make me cry (unless you are Brian Morton as everything he writes is so tragically beautiful that I just well up).

The end of The Corrections deals with how we love people and expectations and Christmas and family and it was just too much for me to take - but in that really great, sad way.

You might say: Claire, have you since learned your lesson of bringing up books before you've finished them? Nope, absolutely not, no lesson learning here.

I'm now 170 pages into the first book of Doris Lessing's Canopus in Argos. It is awesome. It took me a little bit to get into the science fiction-y future world which seems a lot like our world but with giants, but now I am loving it.

I want to say I like it on par with Dune and Stranger in a Strange Land, but those are heavy, preemptive words to utter 170 pages in.

Concerning the lugging-around-a-heavy-book front, the missive is, in fact, quite heavy...BUT, I really like seeing how much of the series I still get to read. Because that is how I see it: look at all the time I get to spend in this fictional world.

Now I patiently withhold full commentary until I am finished (or at least 500 pages in)...


"An individual of middle age looks back over half of his life, of his 'allotted span,' which after such expectations of endlessness seems like a very short, vivid, but slippery dream. And he or she knows by then that all that can be expected is another short, illusive dream. That when he, or she, comes to die-and it will be soon-they will look back on experiences no more substantial that what they wake up from each morning: events and atmospheres exciting or pleasant or horrifying that have slid away and are already half-forgotten."
Doris Lessing

No comments:

Post a Comment