Wednesday, September 29, 2010

In a dark dark room...creak...crash...boo!

Dear Future Claire:

Please do not sign up for volunteer activities after a full day of work, even if they are about books. You will be tired, cranky, and - most of all - hungry. When you leave the activity you will be happy you helped someone, but sad that it is dark. Also, going forward, please only sign up for opportunities with group leaders who actually help with the work as opposed to reading in a chair while you risk your fingers to paper cuts and your back to soreness.


Thanks so much,

Right Now Claire


Last night I rocked my Dewey Decimal skills and volunteered (through Chicago Cares) to re-stack an elementary school library.

The silver lining from last night - obviously - has to do with books. Re-shelving an elementary library is like walking down book memory lane. It is filled with ooo's (R.L. Stine), ahh's (Laura Ingalls Wilder) and aww's (Shel Silverstein).

Fortuitously, the absolute LAST book I shelved brought to the surface forgotten memories.

The book, In a Dark, Dark Room, is a collection of scary folklore tales. Looking at the cover, at first I only recognized the girl with the green ribbon (ooo). Then it all came flooding back. The suspenseful wide-eyed reading. I loved this book. I used to read the stories over and over again.

When I got home I couldn't wait to tell the madre what I had discovered. It was like Mousehaven Manor all over again!

But just like with Mousehaven, when I excitedly told the madre about Dark Room, she said, "Huh, I don't remember that one."

Oh reading, you can be such a solitary touchstone.


"Books can be dangerous. The best ones should be labeled 'This could change your life'."
Helen Exley

6 comments:

  1. i remember that book! i had to look it up to see what was in the house > stair > room > cupboard > box haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. i remember and still own that one

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw the thumbnail of "In A Dark Room" cover in my Google reader and squealed! I haven't thought of that book in years!!
    My mom was an elementary teacher and kept that book on her classroom bookshelf. I would get chills reading it! Esp. the girl with the green ribbon...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah - hahaha! Awesome. I'm sad that more of the book can't be looked at / read on Amazon.

    Ams - You would own it. You are the queen of children's books. I'm gonna need you to bring it here after you go home next...unless you have it at the apt now??

    Cora - It really is amazing how something can be so far out of your mind and it comes racing back. And seriously, girl with the green ribbon is the BEST.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ahhh that was the one and only "scary" book I could read until I was a jr in high school! My favorite was the girl with the green ribbon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. sadly not in the apt now..though my mom was talking about having a box of stuff to send me..perhaps it could arrive in time for halloween.

    ReplyDelete