Tuesday, September 21, 2010

From the stacks...September edition


I'm beginning to think my new neighborhood neighbor, Carls, and I are clones.

The other day, post hair appointment date with Ams, I ran into Carls randomly on the street.

Last night, I went to forage at the library and who did I find filling out a card application...but Carls.

This means she witnessed me at the library. Which means she saw me filling my arms with books on CD for nighttime listening, on hold books, and our state-certified-people-who-aren't-doing-what-they're-certified-in-not-by-choice book club selection (The House of the Scorpion...ooo), and then attempting to cram them all in my purse...

Since we are clones it means she won't judge, right?

Anyways, remember how I was all excited to read The Passage (vampire sci-fi, not sea voyage)? Well, the madre read it (first, like usual) and while she was pumped at the beginning, with 200 pages left it became underwhelming.

I feel her pain because that is how I'm feeling about The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen. At first I was on the fence because I didn't like any of the characters and some of them gave me misogynistic Rabbit, Run flashbacks. But then the realness (if dislike) of the characters kept me reading. But now, with 100 pages left, I find myself skimming and only really reading what interests me every so often. And I find that I'm not missing much. This might mean that I won't read Freedom.

However, I have different criteria for books on CD (mainly that the voice lulls me to sleep), so I picked up The Passage on CD...29 CD's to be precise.

No worries on the massive book front as I still picked up a gigantic book: a collection of one of Doris Lessing's science fiction series. I am usually anti giant collection tomes that will take me months to get through when I could simply get the separate books, but the dangerous pull of having everything in one place was so tempting...so we will see how it goes.



"We may sit in our library and yet be in all quarters of the earth."
John Lubbock

2 comments:

  1. Never any judgment, I was afraid you'd think I was a stalker! Library card success, but I can only take out 5 books a month the first few months, Chicago has a tough love type of library. Once I am deemed responsible enough, I will fill my bag with books too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a Doris Lessing book (Mara and Dann) from the book sale. Maybe I'll move it up on the list given your giant tome.
    The Passage looks super intense. I'm surprised that 200 pages from the end didn't find you engrossed and not wanting it to end? Do you think they will make it into a movie?

    ReplyDelete