Friday, December 4, 2009

That's what you get when you read dracula

I don't like scary things in general. I ripped my shirt during a haunted house once because I was running away from I don't even know what in sheer terror. Over Thanksgiving the fam and I were having a Flash Forward marathon. They all went upstairs to bed and I was left...the only one downstairs...to turn off the lights. Who do you think ran up the stairs two at a time? 26 year old me.

I don't even usually read scary books. When I read The Shining I could only read it during the day. And I didn't read it by choice. It was for school.

And so, when I decided to read Dacre Stoker's Dracula sequel I made the decision of reading it out loud to the madre.

Last night we were reading. We had just gotten to a part where we were wondering...is X a vampire...when something EXPLODED outside our window, all the lights went out, and several more explosion-like sounds reverberated.

In the moments after dismissing the possibility of a vampire attack and prior to realizing the probability of a blown transformer(s) the madre and I roamed shocked and shaking around my apartment listening to the many many many sirens.

Our power was only out for a couple of hours. Long enough to take quick showers before the hot water ran out, play cards by candlelight, and huddle under covers because the apartment was cold from having the window open too long in order to hear electrician discussions.


I was also listening to what the universe was telling me.

No more Dracula at night. Lesson learned.

1 comment:

  1. Ohmigod. Ha! Ha! That would so happen to you at that moment!!

    ReplyDelete