Friday, January 16, 2009

Literary crush


Remember when I said I had found a man who understood women? Remember how that man was Brian Morton? I started another novel by him, A Window Across The River. I am five pages in. I am hooked. I actually wonder if Brian Morton is an alias and the writer is actually a woman and I wonder if that woman is me.

First paragraph:

" Sometimes you lose touch with people for no good reason, even people you love. Nora had lost touch with Isaac five years ago, but he kept coming back to her mind. He would appear to her in dreams (usually looking as if he was disappointed in her); things he'd said to her long ago would bob up into her thoughts; and sometimes when she was in a bookstore she'd drift over to the photography section to see if he'd put out another book. Through year after year of silence, she carried on a conversation with him in her mind."

Emphasis mine.

Sigh.

Brian Morton you are a golden God.


"I recognized your silence. It's different from anyone else's."
Brian Morton

4 comments:

  1. My book list is getting longer and longer....

    ReplyDelete
  2. The torture.. living vicariously through you until my semester is completed. Lord, I miss the power of words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jabba - I feel your pain. I just tried to put more books on hold at the library, but I can't with my $1 fine. Blast!

    Inv. G - I will try to sate your need until you can get back to words : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heh, good post. But I can totally see a man writing that passage, in part because I'm a man and have also had such years-long conversations with people I haven't seen in ages.

    But from the sample, the man sure can write. :)

    ReplyDelete