Saturday, November 15, 2008

The Road


Due to my wanting to escape library fines, I have had to up my reading even during this busy time because I just had to take out 5 books at once...I just finished The Road by Cormac McCarthy.

Similar to I am Legend, it is what I would consider 'boy' fiction. And I loved it. Set in a post-apocalyptic world, TR is a tale of a man and his son traveling across the country. Spoiler, this book is not a happy one. But the solitary form both the writing and dialogue take is both haunting and beautiful. The man and his son 'carry the fire' through a world of violence and ash.

Time for quotes:

"The frailty of everything revealed at last. Old and troubling issues resolved into nothingness and night. The last instance of a thing takes the class with it. Turns out the light and is gone. Look around you. Ever is a long time. But the boy knew what he knew. That ever is no time at all."

: (

But there are happy moments too...

"He rose and walked out and stood barefoot in the sand and watched the pale surf appear all down the shore and roll and crash and darken again. When he went back to the fire he knelt and smoothed her hair as she slept and he said if he were God he wold have made the world just so and no different."

I highly recommend it. At times your like, how can this be good, it is about a man and his son walking down a road...but it is.


"He picked up one of the books and thumbed through the heavy bloated pages. He'd not have thought the value of the smallest thing predicated on a world to come...That the space which these things occupied was itself an expectation. he let the book fall and took a last look around and made his way out into the cold gray light."
Cormac McCarthy

No comments:

Post a Comment