Monday, September 15, 2008

Preemted into reading

Remember that time a Bears pre-season game preempted the season finale of So You Think You Can Dance? Remember last night when America's Next Top Model was preempted by a cubs game?

I do. Every painful moment.

And it isn't that I don't like sports. And it isn't that I don't watch sports. For example, I was definitely watching ND beat U of M this weekend.

The problem comes when random sports preempt scheduled shows I have planned into my day.

Not appreciated.

Although, I probably didn't miss very much. Just Tyra showing off pictures of herself and telling the other judges that she thought the weird girls looked fierce. Then showing previews for when they are all wearing tiaras, probably to show that they are all princesses, but obviously Tyra has a way bigger tiara - because even princesses aren't created equal - and she hands down the announcement that makeovers are coming!

Apparently I don't need to watch the show.

Also, turning off the TV gave me time to finish the last 200 pages of The Story of Edgar Sawtelle. The epic novel of a boy and his dogs. About the mysteries of the human heart (thanks Stephen King, glad to see you are a fan as well). In a time when most books have a cheesy happy ending, Sawtelle's story ends - but the tone and meaning of the ending are left to the reader.

It was a commitment to lug that huge book around Chicago with me, but I loved it. If you are thinking about getting a dog, read this book because the dogs are the best part. They break your heart and yet renew your faith.

But now I need to cleanse my book palate. I have started The Diary of Anais Nin, but maybe need something lighter?

Or perhaps ethereal wanderings is just what I need?


"Human beings place upon an object, or a person, this responsibility of being the obstacle when the obstacle lies always within one's self."
Anais Nin

No comments:

Post a Comment