Monday, April 9, 2012

the pyramid


I've read the final Wallander.

When a person - me - spends so much time and emotional investment put into a book series, it is difficult to trust a prequel. And when that prequel is the final book in the series? It makes me never want to read it...because what if I don't like it? What if I love it, but then it is over?

So. Much. Book. Pressure.

It took me six months and a positive review from the madre to pick up The Pyramid.

In the book - through shorter vignettes - we travel way back to the beginning of Wallander's career.

We see his first case (where he gets stabbed!).

We see his doomed marriage begin..and end.

We see how he hones his unique - and sometimes dangerous - case solving skills.

We see the volatile nature of his relationship with his father.

We see him begin to question what is happening to Swedish society.

Basically it was everything I wanted in a final book/prequel. Thank you Henning Mankell.


"You have to know when it's time to quit. That may be the most important thing of all."
Henning Mankell

1 comment:

  1. Oooooh. Prequels. I don't know how I feel about them. Brad just finished one, but it was old enough that he hadn't read the series at all, so it was like a first book to him.
    Where have you been girl, it's been dead around this part of the internet lately!

    ReplyDelete