Monday, January 23, 2012

Overdue

I took a break from working on Sunday to check my library account. I had eight overdue items. Eight.

I took as a sign that I should take an elongated halftime from Stephen King. I'll be back for him.

Meanwhile, I seem to have joined another book club. And this one is not messing around. There are lawyers in it. They are very organized. There are rules. And protocols. It is almost too much for my warm and cozy English mind.

We are reading Player One: What is to Become of Us. It is kind of like the "24" of books, only it is five hours long (short?) and no Keifer Sutherland. So far everyone is lonely and fixated on time - which is appropriate since it is the apocalypse. The basic premise is: what happens when several strangers are in an airport bar and the apocalypse comes (due to astronomical oil prices).

Hijinks - of the ominous sniper kind - then ensues.

Oh, and it takes place in Canada. Shout out.

Meanwhile, if you want to know what my days are filled with when I'm not blogging, go check this out: Hey Girl Teacher.



"Listening to people tell stories is very soothing. When someone is telling you a story, they hijack the personal narrator that lives inside your head. It's the closest we come to seeing through someone else's eyes."
Douglas Coupland

No comments:

Post a Comment