Thursday, October 27, 2011

Guilty

I have two blog posts started for books I've read, but said nothing about. Poor Witcher and Siddhartha. I feel like they're the guys you date in quick succession when you are really busy and later you are like, "Oh, what was his name again?"

I recommend both. Witcher takes a video-game-ish (it was turned into one) look at fairy tales. It is thoroughly entertaining. Similar to Disney, but with more fighting...which - if you think about it - is a lot of fighting because Disney actually doesn't shy away from a fight.

Siddhartha has no fighting unless you count fighting with your SOUL. It is a book about a man on a journey of self discovery. It is what we all go through. Sure, most of us don't become aesthetics on that journey, but it was still comforting to read that the journey is never over.

And finally, I'm going to have to figure out why my easiest book metaphor is dating. Worrisome.


“Wisdom cannot be imparted. Wisdom that a wise man attempts to impart always sounds like foolishness to someone else. Knowledge can be communicated, but not wisdom. One can find it, live it, do wonders through it, but one cannot communicate and teach it.”
Herman Hesse, Siddhartha

3 comments:

  1. Disney?!? That is a surprising take.

    "
    I feel like they're the guys you date in quick succession when you are really busy and later you are like, "Oh, what was his name again?"
    "
    I tell myself I've been that guy before... it feels better than the realistic alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm Beauty and the Beast has a song titled KILL THE BEAST. In The Little Mermaid a giant octopus woman gets gutted with the bow of a ship. Those are just two examples.

    Wait, how is the alternative a negative?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bow to your superior Disney knowledge. I thought I knew those movies--they were my (our) generation--but it's been about a year since I read the book, so perhaps my recall is fuzzy. I remember The Last Wish being a bit darker than Disney, but I have high hopes for Brave (even if Pixar's is incapable of doing dark.) The first trailer was good.

    "Oh, what was his name again?" is only slightly better than "Thank God he's not calling me..." only in the opposite direction.

    ReplyDelete