Friday, September 3, 2010

From the stacks, August edition



This isn't turning out how I wanted. From the stacks is supposed to show people how awesome the library is. Except awful/hilarious things keep happening every time I go there. It is like when you bring home a new boyfriend and your family is total shenanigans. The libs is my family and all the new patrons flocking to the libs thanks to the recession are my boy/girlfriend(s). I keep wanting to say, "Libs, get it together, people are WATCHING."

Only first I have to say it to myself.

Episode I - my fault
Having finished Mockingjay, I wanted another quick summer read. The madre has been reading both The Passage and Just Kids and let me know that The Passage has a sci-fi element. What? I didn't know that!

I'd had it on hold for ages and ages and it was finally in at the library. Excited, I made a special trip.

Only, grabbing my book from the shelf I came eye to eye with a giant ship. Are the vampires going to be making a sea voyage? That doesn't make sense. And why does this book look well-read, it is a new book. Only it wasn't. Because it wasn't the book I wanted.

But I was already at the library, the book was in my hands, and I felt ashamed that I put the COMPLETELY WRONG book on hold. So I checked it out and skulked home.


Episode II - not my fault
I've been a little distracted lately thanks to a very sickly Rocious. This means my after work time is taken up with either cleaning up vomit, cradling a Roc, or traumatically taking her to the vet. On my way to pick her up from an overnight observation, I stopped at the library to return overdue books and pay my small fine.

Please note: I don't mind paying fines. I consider them a donation to the libs; however, I do mind rudeness when I am overwhelmed with nervousness about Rocious while also trying to do right by the libs.

There was a long line when I got there. I waited patiently (although nervously because every minute that ticked by was another minute Rocious was in kitten jail) as people checked out, a woman payed a $14 (wow) fine, blah blah blah and finally it was almost my turn. The woman in front of me was checking out one book. The lib employee (not to be confused with my favorite lib man who is awesome and very speedy and I always try to brighten his day with jokes because I know people get angst-y at the libs) said to her, "I could move the line quicker if more were like you and they didn't have fines."

Then I approached 100% ready with everything to return and pay my fine. I tell him this is what I want to do and he says to the woman next to me, "See? Like this."

WHAT?

This transaction can be incredibly fast. But not when I hand over my books to return and they are slowly entered into the computer, slowly sorted, and one by one taken to three different sections behind the desk. Back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. I am waiting with my card ready because I know it is needed to look up my fine. Then I am waiting with my money out while slowly the clipboard is brought out to mark down my transaction.

And yet it is me, the person who wants to give the library money who is in the wrong. I didn't realize I am only allowed to go to the library to check out one book.

Thanks library. After smiling and being polite to your mean employee I'm now going to go pick up my cat who hates the vet so much that she doesn't eat there, pees on herself when they try to put her in her carrier, and then is so despondent that she doesn't even cry on the way home (which I know she hates). I'll then hover around her wiping down her fur and imploring her to do anything besides morosely stare at me. Then I won't sleep because I'm constantly vigilant in case Roc decides to start eating. Because I somehow believe something I have done is killing my cat.

I got home only to realize there were two other books due that day which would be overdue the next, but I was too busy wrenching my cat's mouth open to force-feed her appetite stimulant to care that I would redo this entire experience again.

Maybe next time the libs employee will get me to cry.


"Nothing sickens me more than the closed door of the library."
Barbara Tuchman

2 comments:

  1. Oh MAAAANNNN.....if he only knew how much you love the library!! If he only knew who he was dealing with. I hope Rocious is okay?!

    You should totally read that wrong library book!! Maybe it crossed your path for a reason? At least give the first few pages a try.

    The last time I was in the library the poor librarian was dealing with a grouchy woman in front of me. She was INSISTING that her email address had a space in it.
    The librarian patiently tried to explain to her that it's impossible to have spaces in your email address and that it's likely an underscore which tends to "disappear" when you type it into forms on the internet.....the grouchy woman ended up marching off angrily mumbling.
    I made sure I was extra nice to the librarian after that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jabba - SEE. I usually try to be 100% nice because I know ridiculous people go to the library and I feel bad. But there is only so much a girl can take.

    As of today Rocious is back to being naughty. I've never been so happy when she causes trouble. She was just riffling under my bed and is now crying at the door because I'm too boring, the hallway is obviously much cooler.

    ReplyDelete