Monday, February 8, 2010

If Face says it, it must be true

Face: put down your books you can take back to your apartment and read this.
Me: Akira?
Face: Read.
There is only one other book Face has put in my hands and demanded I read. That book is Dune. I'm so thankful he did because that book rocks. Stillsuits? Spice? Blue eyes? Worms? Wisdom filled life lessons? The whole thing rocks my world.

Face knows I've been getting more into graphic novels lately, and so he put Akira in my hands. And I read it...in like 2 hours. When I closed the graphic novel I asked, "WHY DON'T YOU OWN THE SECOND ONE?" He will own it, in April, when the cheap version comes out.

In my head I equated manga to anime, which I also like but maybe don't want to read. Like Dune rocked my science fiction novel world, so has Akira rocked my manga / graphic novel world. Akira is about power and motorcycles and gangs and social isolation and absolute zero and friendship and hopefully a love connection and corruption.

I'm really hoping the naughty kid motorcycle gang will save the world.

It should be noted, in Face's words: it gets gross. If you can't handle children that look really old and creepy...Or peeps with the ability to blow up people's heads with their minds...and doing just that, then maybe you should pass.

But really? Those are only a few panels in hundreds of pages of art and story.


"In a mad world only the mad are sane."
Akira Kurosawa

No comments:

Post a Comment