Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Is it a scary guy prequisite to be missing a finger?


Increasingly, I have been growing an affinity for the mystery novel. It is no secret that my version of trashy romance novels is trashy (and awesome) mystery novels (M.C. Beaton!!). For me, they provide similar entertainments. You know when you crack open a (quality) mystery there will be twists and turns, strong willed characters, surprises, and - best of all - a happy ending.

Mysteries are the milk chocolate of the book world.

And so I decided to give Libby Fischer Hellmann a chance. In general, she writes about Chicago and has baller female lead characters. Doubleback is her latest, and I decided to start with that.

It must be noted that the madre also read this one before me. I swear, I can't let that woman alone with my books EVER. And when I say she read it before me I mean she read it in ONE DAY while I was at work. I walked in my apartment to her huddled over the book ravenously devouring the last 10 pages.

There was no talking until she was done.

And then I read it. My full time job and house guests elongated my reading time, although my sentiment was the same. Over the weekend the madre asked what I wanted to do and I replied, "Ummm....read."

And read I did. Doubleback's content is a smorgasbord of plot including a kidnapping, elevator shenanigans, former military mercenaries, break tampering, border control, AND romance.

It's a page turner, in the best possible sense.


"The final mystery is oneself."
Oscar Wilde

3 comments:

  1. I saw this on Design Sponge this morning and immediately had to buy it. Thought you might be interested as well...

    http://www.designspongeonline.com/2009/12/the-overdue-book-calendar.html?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=the-overdue-book-calendar

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Opulently I to but I dream the brief should have more info then it has.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want not acquiesce in on it. I think nice post. Expressly the appellation attracted me to be familiar with the sound story.

    ReplyDelete