Tuesday, August 18, 2009

What are men to rocks and mountains and zombies

After Rabbit, Run left a bad taste in my mouth with its *SPOILER ALERT* baby killing and neglecting of responsibility, I needed...something.

I obviously turned to zombies.


Now, the majority of the time I dislike what the majority likes on principle. Also, remakes or offshoots of things I love I usually (always) hate. This is never more true than when dealing with the love of my life: Jane Austen.

However, I was intrigued when I heard the zombie portrayal of Pride and Prejudice cast Elizabeth as a warrior. Intrigued enough to place it on my growing library hold list.

Seth Grahame-Smith basically takes Pride and Prejudice word for word and inserts zombies. The Bennet sisters are warriors, at least one character turns into a zombie and there is a GIRL FIGHT at the end. But don't worry, Mrs. Bennet is still silly as always.

I appreciate the fact that he left all of Austen's best lines intact. If you thought Austen was funny and satirical before, wait until you hear her lines directly after some bloodshed and mayhem. There is also a quaint commentary throughout which I read as a secret banter with readers who know Austen in and out.

Everything isn't coming up corpses though. With the inclusion of zombies, Austen's delicious nuances are lost.

However, if Austen is traditional Mexican food (all nuance yummy-ness), one might say Austen and zombies is Taco Bell. I would argue, one can enjoy both without having to compare them as equals.

So, if you want an incredibly funky twist on a perennial classic, go read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies...if only to freak people out with the cover.


"We are each commanded by His Majesty to defend Hertfordshire from all enemies until such time as we are dead, rendered lame, or married."
more Seth Grahame-Smith than Jane Austen

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear the classic lines were kept intact, cause you know - you can insert zombies into this amazing book and that's okay. But mess with the lines?! No way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jabba - HAHAHAHA. I do think there was a line he wouldn't cross. Get it? Line?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review! I worried about the butchering of my Jane, but if the spirit is still intact I might take a sniff of this novel..

    ReplyDelete