Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Teacher Mans


I've been holding off discussing Frank McCourt's Teacher Man.

Mainly because I prefer to be decisive and on this book I am mixed, straddling an opinion.

The madre listened to it on book on tape and suggested it because McCourt is the reader. I think a man with an Irish accent could read the phone book and I would be enthralled. Like...tell me more about the Smith's!

When I checked out the actual book she was all, I don't know I may rescind my suggestion if you can't hear his voice. And I might agree with her. Only because his writing style is similar to a grandparent handing down information: relevant and interesting, but extremely tangential.

I suggest this book for teachers or future teachers. It is helpful to watch/read the arc a teacher goes through while learning their craft. It is comforting to see someone who has won a Pulitzer say: I had no idea what I was doing. It lessens the fear of being completely outnumbered day after day.

There are gems of pedagogical and administrative wisdom throughout. If there is a general lesson, it is: be yourself in the classroom - do what works for you. Simple? Yes, but it is a phrase I've repeated to myself for a year so I don't go into the classroom and try to act all strict nun on them. I can't keep that up.

In other book news...

I had in queue Fall On Your Knees...but when I cracked the book open I realized it was large print. I believe my reaction was: GROSS. So it goes back to the library and back on my hold list.

In its place: DRACULA. For all those people reading Twilight, get with the program and check out Bram Stoker. His vampires seduce you but they also kill you. Slowly.


"Even if they lie to themselves and the world they look for honesty in the teacher."
Frank McCourt

4 comments:

  1. A writing teacher of mine compared Frank McCourt to his brother - who also wrote a book once.

    Frank = talented, gifted writer.
    His brother = mediocre.

    We concluded that some writers have this ability to "channel" great writing. Frank is one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inv - From the book I also take away that he was a great teacher who was able to get his students to channel as well.

    Have you read Angela's Ashes? Thoughts?

    I haven't read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't it either. Again, it's my aversion to reading what Oprah says I should read. I think Jabba's read it. We should ask her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Frank McCourt, although Teacher Man was my least favorite of his books. As a matter of interest, Angela's Ashes is one of my all-time favorite books, I highly recommend it.

    xox

    ReplyDelete