Monday, January 2, 2012

Pausing 2012 to remember 2011

A year in books. 2011 marked the harrowing battle of reading vs. teaching. Even so, I managed to find time to read. The issue was never so apparent as when during one week of teaching break I read three books (completely for my enjoyment only). Oh the rapture.

Let's look back now over the entire year. It would seem this was a year of the series (Wallander, Game of Thrones, Dune, etc.) I've boiled my list down to my top three per category. It would seem, however, that I only read one happy/funny book this year. I feel pretty OK with that.

Here goes:

Favorite


Must Read

Not for Me

Page Turner

Feel Happy and Laugh

Wallow and Cry

Makes you Think

Entertaining Fluff


All the Rest
A Clash of Kings - George R.R. Martin
A Lesson Before Dying - Ernest Gaines
Batman / Superman / Wonder Woman: Trinity - Matt Wagner
Batman: The Long Halloween - Loeb & Sale
Batman: Year One - Miller & Mazzuchelli
Chapterhouse Dune - Frank Herbert
Children of Dune - Frank Herbert
Deogratias: A Tale of Rwanda - Stassen
Drood - Dan Simmons
Dune Messiah - Frank Herbert
Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card
Faceless Killers - Henning Mankell
Fahrenheit 451 (graphic adaptation) - Tim Hamilton
Firewall - Henning Mankell
God Emperor of Dune - Frank Herbert
Good Wives - Louisa May Alcott
Heretics of Dune - Frank Herbert
Hole in My Life - Jack Gantos
How Did You Get This Number - Sloane Crosley
I am an Emtional Creature - Eve Ensler
Inherit the Wind - Jerome Lawrence & Robert E Lee
Italian Shoes - Henning Mankell
Little Women - Louisa May Alcott
Mare's War - Tanita Davis
Marvel 1602 - Neil Gaiman
More Book Lust - Nancy Pearl
Murder in the Marais - Cara Black
One Step Behind - Henning Mankell
Promethea Vol. 1 - Moore, Williams & Gray
Promethea Vol. 2 - Moore, Williams & Gray
Promethea Vol. 3 - Moore, Williams & Gray
Siddhartha - Hermann Hesse
Sidetracked - Henning Mankell
Slaughterhouse-Five - Kurt Vonnegut
Storm of Swords - George R.R. Martin
Swim the Fly - Don Calame
The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath
The Books of Magic - Gaiman & Bolton et al.
The Dogs of Riga - Henning Mankell
The Fifth Woman - Henning Mankell
The Imperfectionists - Tom Rachman
The Last Wish - Andrzei Sapkowski
The Man Who Smiled - Henning Mankell
The Weight of Winter - Cathie Pelletier
The White Lioness - Henning Mankell
Touching Spirit Bear - Ben Mikaelsen
When the World Was Steady - Claire Messud
Wonder Woman - Picoult, Dodson, Johnson, & Diaz
Wonder Woman Archives Vol. 1 - DC Comics

1 comment:

  1. I love your categories! I may have to borrow/steal some of those for next year. I've heard so much conflicting stuff said for little stranger that I"m actually excited to read it. I've only heard good stuff about Magic Bits and I loved Neverwhere to no end.

    ReplyDelete