Friday, July 15, 2011

Winter is coming, and it isn't just because all the store windows say I should be buying boots and sweaters

I'm finally riding a popular book wave.

No longer am I the book snob who is like: Twilight? I rejected that ages ago. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo? You're only on the FIRST one? Hunger Games? Get with the times and the fight to the death and P.S. TEAM PETA.

Nope, I'm right in the middle of everyone else reading the Game of Thrones series. I was even snobbed at the other day on the bus. This hipster guy was all: "Isn't it so funny that you see everyone reading Game of Thrones now, snark snark snark."

In case you aren't riding the literacy wave like me, the Game of Thrones series is the fantastical Medieval tale of the Seven Kingdoms (and is also now an HBO show). The Kingdoms are made up of families who control sections. You have the heroic Stark family who rep the north and - like their name - are stoic and like to remind everyone that WINTER IS COMING. The Starks are quickly pitted against the Lannisters who are conniving and brutal, even though Tyrion Lannister is my favorite character. Then there is Daenerys who had to flee the Kingdoms and then gets some DRAGONS. So she is awesome.

There are also other castles and lords and children and wolves and don't forget the scary army and some type of shadow darkness north of The Wall.

All in all it is great fantasy that makes the wait for the next J.V. Jones book feel a little shorter.


"There are no men like me. There's only me."
Jaime Lannister via George R.R. Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment