Monday, May 9, 2011

Ender's game is fun and I am old

I had a rollicking weekend full of family and travel, so let's see if I can even remember Ender's Game, which I read last week for book club:


Little kid is chosen to save the world. Get's taken away from his family and sent to a training facility where the students/soldiers are divided into teams/units. He makes friends and enemies and sacrifices. He saves the world.

So basically: Harry Potter with video games. Only Ender was WAY before Potter so Potter is Ender but with wands and brooms.

I'm having a little bit of trouble getting excited about Ender right now, but I think that has more to do with TIRED and OLD and LIFE-HANGOVER than it does with Ender.

Because Ender has war games and bug alien things and mean kids and strategy and plans within plans and space travel and life lessons and and psychological insights and unfairness and suiting up and murder cover ups.

Basically, it's awesome.


"Sometimes lies are more dependable than the truth."
Orson Scott Card

4 comments:

  1. "Ender's Game" was written after "Speaker for the Dead" and is essentially the prequel to that book. I loved them both, I'd highly recommend "Speaker."

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. No way! I didn't realize Speaker was written first! I will definitely be reading it.

    So Harry Potter is Ender which is Speaker. MAN.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man you are all over the map with your reading! Have you looked into Drood yet? I'm almost finished. I'm dying to find out what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jabba - I KNOW. It is crazy. Book club keeps my reading versatile. I am TOTALLY starting Drood this week. Oooo I can't wait to hear what YOU think!

    ReplyDelete