Thursday, March 10, 2011

Most of the smart ones get away

I've put aside several books in the last couple days. Nothing seems to be grabbing me in. Last night (finally), in just a few short pages, Edith Wharton gave my book roaming pause.

I'm only one chapter into her novella Ethan Frome...but I'm already hooked. A small New England town during the snowy winter. An anonymous narrator. A mysterious figure. And - of course - nosy townspeople who love to talk:

"It was not that Mrs. Ned Hale felt, or affected, any social superiority to the people about her; it was only that the accident of a finer sensibility and a little more education had put just enough distance between herself and her neighbours to enable her to judge them with detachment. She was not unwilling to exercise this faculty..."

2 comments:

  1. Putting aside meaning you start them and put them down? Or just not even bothering to start?

    This one sounds like a good one. Perfect for winter reading too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jabba - Yes, putting them down after I've read a bit. And they are books I would normally like, but right now I get 20 pages in and am all: BLECH.

    ReplyDelete