Monday, March 28, 2011

Crime mysteries solidifying their place in my heart and my bookshelf

Before the world became obsessed with all things dragon tattoo, I too had fallen in love with Nordic Literature. I was drawn to the mix of nonchalant depression and crime fighting - with a side of what-has-our-society-come-to.

Considering my obsessive watching of Law and Order (and cheering on of detective Stabler), I don't know how I didn't start reading crime fiction a long time ago.

Thanks to a karmic choosing of Peter Hoeg's The Quiet Girl, I was hooked (except for his book that has bestiality...). Then there was the Stieg Larsson madness.

But now things have calmed-ish, it's time for new Swedish love. I give you: Henning Mankell.



OK, so a lot of you probably already know him. Especially since Mankell's detective protagonist - Kurt Wallander - is currently being played by my boyfriend Kenneth Branagh (thank you BBC).

I sped through the first book - Faceless Killers (eek).

The plot centers around the gruesome murder of two seemingly innocuous elderly farming couple. The boss is on vacation and Wallander has to take charge of a volatile case (and subsequent murder). But don't worry, he still has time to try to patch things up with his daughter, stop missing his ex-wife, and start liking a new woman.

Overall, Wallander series - so far - is made up of quality crime mystery writing that keeps you turning the page even if you aren't happy because SERIOUSLY why would someone murder old people??

Wallander is a protagonist of the best kind: charismatic, on the verge of alcoholism, not afraid to get beat up, gets beat up a lot, and finally saves the day through brains and hard work.

Reading Mankell is like drinking a comfy cup of hot cocoa...if the cocoa was laced with crime and violence.


"Society had grown cruel. People who felt they were unwanted or unwelcome in their own country, reacted with aggression. There was no such thing as meaningless violence. Every violent act had a meaning for the person who committed it. Only when you dared accept this truth could you hope to turn society in another direction."
Henning Mankell

1 comment:

  1. I'll have to give this a try! GOOD crime fiction is hard to find (in my opinion). Sometimes it's too violent or disturbing, sometimes the writing sucks. Sometimes the cases aren't that interesting! I wonder why the men detectives always have such ISSUES!

    ReplyDelete