Tuesday, November 9, 2010

I don't care about your band


I Don't Care About Your Band is the great title of Julie Klausner's memoir chronicling the ups and downs and whatever is below the downs in the search for love and self.

For Klausner, the two seem intrinsically linked. And that made me sad.

Which is why I skimmed the middle of the book.

I got tired.

Another jerk guy you should have known better than to date? If I wanted a list like that I would just review my own life.

Parts are funny, but parts made me want to give a strong woman speech. Which, to be fair, Klausner kind of gives herself.

I perked up when she noted that instead of dating someone in a band...you should just start your own band.

That's when I started paying attention again. Right in time for the ending.

Which finally made me happy.

Klausner lets it slip that she is in a relationship at the time of writing the book, which I think we all saw coming. Refreshingly, however, she makes light of it: "Hey everybody, good news! Everything's fine now: I'm in a relationship! The end!"

And then she surprised me further by acknowledging that - when it comes to relationships and happiness - it is different for everyone.

And that is OK.


"...Who am I to say whether we can't be satisfied alone, or happy while we're looking, or whether the destination out-ends the means, or that it was all worth it for the sake of meeting this guy."
Julie Klausner, strong closer

No comments:

Post a Comment