Wednesday, June 9, 2010

From the stacks...June

While I love owning books as much as the next bibliophile, I am also a huge supporter of libraries since if we don't use our libraries, we will lose them. And I can't have that.

Eva, at A Striped Armchair, posts her Library Loot every week. While I've posted about libs shenanigans and lib selections, I never thought of making a button for it!

So now I've made my own Chicago specific button, and when I go to the libs I will post what I snag. Maybe it will make you want to stop by your own libs. Perhaps my library selections will even tell us something about me...like that I'm drawn to pretty book jackets...kind of like how I'm drawn to jazz hands...


Sometimes I choose library books by what Amazon tells me I would like (judging from my prior purchases). This is how I came to go find the following at my libs.

1. The Photographer - Emmanuel Guibert. This graphic novel chronicles a photographer's experience of heading into 1986 Afghanistan with doctors without borders. The format is half photographs, half illustrations, and 100 percent interesting.

2. Fallen Angels - Walter Dean Myers. This novel tells the tale of one man's experience in Vietnam. I don't know if I will be able to handle the violence and death, but it is one of 100 most frequently challenged library books...which means I must try it.



"Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,

My pile of books is a mile high

How I love them! How I need them!

I'll have a long beard by the time I read them!"

Arnold Lobel

No comments:

Post a Comment