Saturday, March 27, 2010

Swan thieves and pretty pictures


"I'm almost done; I have 200 pages left."

I may be the only person who finds nothing strange in this statement. I'm reading Elizabeth Kostova's The Swan Thieves. Five years ago Kostova published The Historian. And, yes, it is a story about a vampire...but a really great one that leaves you checking over your shoulder because...what if...

Swan Thieves, like Historian, is a mysterious tale, but this time about art. A man attacks a painting and come to find out he is doing it for his muse - maybe - who may or may not be real as he may or may not be crazy. I still have a third of the book left, but right now I can say it is enjoyable but not as mind-blowing as the Historian. This time around I'm feeling a little like I know what might happen - which would be a negative for a "thrilling" novel.

That isn't enough for me to put it away, however, since I thoroughly enjoy art and psychology talk.

For a break - or so I thought - I read a quick - or so I thought - graphic novel. Asterios Polyp is full of interestingly drawn illustrations, but also full philosophical meanderings concerning both life and art. I was ready for pictures, not critical thinking, but still liked the rendering of life.


"Almost impossible to put down...a thrill ride through history."
A well earned review for The Historian

2 comments:

  1. I was put off by Asterios Polyp because it's about a middle aged dude, and I wasn't sure I wanted to relate. But I've heard good things. Maybe I'll read it, since you liked it.

    If you're looking for a not-too-deep and very funny whilst still subversive-in-a-feminist-way comic, look no further than Plan B (it's all online). I've become a Plan B evangelist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer - looking back on Asterios, I'm less enamored. It was all kind of blah blah enlightenment middle life crisis blah blah.

    I will def go check out Plan B.

    ReplyDelete