Saturday, May 2, 2009

THE LONG AWAITED BOOK POST

O.M.G. I am actually going to marinate on some books I have been reading. Amazing.


First up, I just finished M.C. Beaton's Death of a Gentle Lady (A Hamish Macbeth Mystery). It is fair to say that I super love Hamish Macbeth. When I'm not on my death bed, I finish these books in one sitting. They are like delicious dessert reading. Some might think they are fluffy, but I keep coming back and always look forward to the next time. Hamish is a local bobby in the Highlands of Scotland. He is amazingly adept at solving the large about of murders which seem to pervade his rural area, however has no inclination to move up the police ladder. Hilarity ensues in the form of disaster every time he has to come up with a plan to stay is his demoted, but loved position. Oh yeah, and he loves two women. And might I say that both he and the ladies are worthy of all the love and miscommunication swirling around. I highly recommend the entire series.
Next, is a book which shows what happens when one browses at the Merlo Library. I have made it known that I only ever pick up held materials at Merlo. However, lately I have started to feel guilty. Like maybe if I gave the books a chance...I did this with Elizabeth Berg's The Handmaid and the Carpenter. I know Berg's name, and I thought I had read her...but looking back, I haven't...tricky Berg, tricky. And reading the title I thought, hmmm, something historical maybe? Historical indeed. Try Joseph, Mary and JESUS. I don't know how I didn't anticipate it, but I didn't. Historical fiction is one thing (that I love), but when you are messing around with the Jesus story? There are just so many ways to mess it up.


Next up: Ellen Gilchrist's In the Land of Dreamy Dreams. I will disclose that these are short stories, however, characters meander in an out. I loved loved loved the stories. Obviously, the motif of dreams, reality and the thin line between works its way in to the majority. It was kind of like when I read Alice Munroe (also short stories). I came away both times with immense respect for the author. Kind of like how I write my blog and it is fine and good, but these women are writing stories. Real stories. If you usually stay away from short stories because perhaps you finish the story wanting more of the characters, don't worry, Gilchrist has written other books of short stories with these same characters (Victory Over Japan). Also, the majority take place in the South.


P.S. read Zafon's The Shadow of the Wind. Face lent it to me from his library and it is an amazing page turner about growing up, love, loss, family, wealth, power...everything. Let's just say this: any book that makes me almost miss my bus stop because I am so engrossed gets my stamp of approval.

Happy reading!


"A stranger sees us the way we are, not as he wishes to think we are."
Carlos Ruiz Zafon

2 comments:

  1. maybe the shadow of the wind will have to be my next book...when you remember to bring it back (unless its already here of course)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ams! I will bring it, right after I put Swine Flu on it for you! KIDDING. I didn't bring it back yet cause I have all the great quotes marked with post-its...you know I would bend pages in a book that belongs to Face!

    ReplyDelete